Sadly, this blog is a bit sleepier than I'd like these days. Pop over here if you'd like to know why.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Tempeh Kabobs

A few months ago I was really excited to see nearly an entire refrigerator case dedicated to vegetarian "meat" at the supermarket. I rarely eat fake meat other than veggie dogs while camping. It's often kind of gross and full of sodium. But this time in addition to the "meat" there were several types of tempeh on offer.

Have you had tempeh? It's an Indonesian staple made from whole soybeans. It has more protein than tofu and a much firmer texture.

When I saw the tempeh, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. Kabobs! A cookout at the park was the perfect chance to get them on the grill. (And Hallelujah Lulu's still had it in stock. Things tend to appear and then vanish here).


photo by Molly

For the kabobs I used tempeh, pineapple, yellow and green pepper, onion, and marrow (like zucchini). I marinated them in teriyaki sauce (from a bottle mixed with more garlic, honey, salt, and lemon pepper) for a few hours before heading to the park.


photo by Molly

Mike and I had the leftovers over rice the next evening. Still good, but much better straight off the grill.

No comments: