On my last productive day (crafting wise) in the states I set to work making Julia a tote bag for her piano music. She requested a market bag in gold and showed me a few examples of what she liked. I knew this would be last sewing project for awhile so I wanted it to be simple enough yet challenge my skills. After thinking it through (very informally) for a few days I decided I definitely wanted to use piping on the sides and add a gusset. This was my first attempt at making my own pattern/design and not following anyone’s tutorials (which the exception of this apron which was a combination).
I’m really excited and think it turned out quite well. The bag is reversible with gold and gray stripes on one side and a muted beige and cream on the other. I turned a little mishap into a design feature when I ran out of length for the straps. I pieced the two fabrics together to create the full length and like the way the two patterns blend when the bag is worn.
I think a white “wishing flower” (dandelion) would look lovely fabric painted to the widest gray stripe. Similarly, fabric paint on the more muted fabric would look lovely as well. Knowing my (timid) artistic skills and knowing Julia’s (fabulous) artistic skills… I left that task to her discretion.
In addition to the tote bag, I whipped up a little tiny bonus box bag using the same material. I just love these little things.