Sadly, this blog is a bit sleepier than I'd like these days. Pop over here if you'd like to know why.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Italian Prunes

One good thing about moving back near my family... reuniting with my favorite plums from childhood. We would go to my grandmother's house and fill grocery sacks full of plums... and eat and eat and eat. Now that I'm back in town during the harvest, I can take part again. So. I did.

Italian Prunes

Coming home with a box full of plums I knew the next day would be a baking day. There really aren't too many italian prune recipes out there, but I finally came across one that would do after a few changes.

Vegan Purple Plum Pie

4 c. sliced italian prunes
3/4 c. sugar
3 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. Earth Balance

Pit the plums and slice thinly, probably into eighths
Combine flour and sugar in a bowl, mix with plums
Pour into prepared pie crust
Drizzle lemon juice over top, dot with Earth Balance
Place top pie crust, cut to vent

If you need a pie crust recipe, this one is tops.

2 c. flour
1/3 c. water
2/3 c. olive oil

Mix ingredients in bowl until a ball forms, divide in half
Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll into a circle, this is your bottom
Repeat for top

Bake for 8 minutes at 350, reduce heat to 250 and bake for an hour
(Note: the baking time isn't quite right, I always end up baking the pie much longer, or turning the heat up and baking until it bubbles)

I've said before that my Housewifery Out of Control Pie was my favorite pie of all time both for taste and color... and I still stand by those statements. But this pie comes in a close second for color.

Italian Prune Pie

No comments: