Last Spring I made a compost bin using a rubbermaid container and a drill. I followed this pattern at You Grow Girl. My roommate at the time and I were sick of seeing so much energy go out with our trash. Then I was inspired to get it in gear by a local woman making a recycling presentation in the 4th grade class I student taught in. After a trip to the store and borrowing a drill, we had compost.
In the fall I ended up with some really rich looking soil. I used it to plant a peony. Then... I kinda let things run their natural course... i. e. I stopped turning the compost. I just never thought about it at a convenient time. Bad idea.
This morning I felt brave and energized. I popped the top and... eew. A bit stinky (too much green material, not enough brown) and not a lot of decomposition (or worms). Plus, I thought I had requested our compost to be vegan... but the rotten eggs proved otherwise.
I did lots of turning and added some wood shavings. I think I'm going to try a little harder to remember to turn every 2 or 3 weeks.
(This photos is 1 of 52, see Project 365/52)