Sadly, this blog is a bit sleepier than I'd like these days. Pop over here if you'd like to know why.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bagels

I have never been so excited to open the oven. I was watching the timer count down and calling out the minutes... What could possibly get me so worked up? Homemade vegan bagels, of course!

Vegan Bagels

Last Friday while in a restless mood, I heard this story on NPR. One of the takeaway points (for me at least) was the frugality of making your own bagels. I was intrigued.

I researched a few recipes and found, well, kind of a horrible one. It seemed pretty easy and basically too good to be true. So little effort. Turns out... soggy bread is not very appetizing. And it's never good when your mom admits to "choking it down." I won't even share that recipe with you...

SIP: Day 55

Luckily, I know of a little something called perseverance. Yesterday I found a new recipe and tried again. If you were present in the kitchen you would have heard me exclaim, "Wow! These bagels are already light years ahead of the other ones!" at just about every stage of the process. I was a little giddy with excitement.

Here's the recipe I used. I added a half teaspoon of garlic powder for flavor as well as about a fourth of a cup (I didn't really measure) of nutritional yeast for flavor and protein.

Vegan Bagels

I liked the entire process of bagel making so much (from the kneading to the eating), I'm actually making them again right now. But I also think listening to this goodness contributes to the enjoyment.

4 comments:

Elliott said...

i had to keep from eating the screen! lovely healthy colour on the top, too.

Nikki.O said...

These look REALLY good :)

ashley said...

yum! i've been wanting to make homemade bagels for awhile. also, thank you for turning me on to little joy. i've been listening to them in my room for a few hours now. i should probably listen to them while making bagels.

Jill said...

thank you to all and to ashley, you're welcome! my friend just sent me 10 albums in the mail this week... littlejoy is one of my favorite although they are all fantastic!